On to the next!

Check out my all new blog :-) -> Triumph Spitfire Blog!

maandag 13 april 2009

BSA Bantam Trail 190cc


This Bantam is the result of an article in the Classic Motorcycle about RED T2 which was a trials bantam produced by the research and development section of BSA at the end of Bantam production....

I tried to copy it, and I beleive that I have actually improved upon their efforts.
Because of many other commitments, the build has been stop start eversince, and I have only just, 20 years later, after building my house and restoring about 10 other bikes in the collection that I had, found time to finish it!

During this extended rebuild time it has had .. a complete engine rebuild by Tand G Motorcycles, (receipts available) rebored to fit a Suzuki piston,which resulted in a displacement of 190cc, electronic ignition and a new concentric carburetor, make this a very powerfull Bantam.
New old stock forks from Brit Bits in Christchurch, the frame has been extensively modified, to give massive ground clearance, and the engine plates moved left to cater for a 400 rear tyre, and keep the chain line correct.

New chains and sprockets, new shocks, battery, rectifier, new Acront rims (no longer available) 21 and 18 inch, new tyres tubes tapes and security clamps, it has been rewired, converted to 12 volt has a new Bushman alternater, it has a new battery and coil,....a full MOT, the headlamp can be removed in a few minuits and the competition number plate substituted, it had a new Lyta aluminium petrol tank with a flip filler cap, and center bolt fixing, it has had new cranckase/ crankshaft seals fitted in the last few weeks, because it had been standing for a long time, I fabricated the silencer, and it has provision for packing should that seem necessary, although I think it sounds good, and is not too loud.

The exhaust pipe is new. The electronic ignition makes the bike very easy to start, but it might benefit from slight carburetor adjustment and slightly retiming the ignition, I have not ridden it since the rebuild. The bike is registered to me and is a Historic Vehicle, so road tax is free.
I have spent over £3000.00 building this bike, and now that it's finished I am too old and brittle for trials riding, so it has to go!